Another Medical Day In The Books

After being in Madison all day Friday, September 29th, we had a full medical day scheduled at our local hospital for that next Monday, October 2nd.

I would like to know who is in charge of our calendar!

Honestly, all of these routine check-ups fall in the same month whether we like it or not!

First up was Tate for his routine eye exam.

He sees the eye doctor yearly because of his VP shunt.

We have to wait about 30 minutes after they put the drops in Tate’s eyes until his eyes are dilated enough for the doctor to exam them.

Tate and Eliza both are used to waiting rooms, and I usually read to them to pass the time.

Tate’s eye exam went well, and we will go back in one year.

After the eye doctor we headed over to imaging to get those x-rays that the neurosurgeon in Madison wanted.

I bet you think it is that simple, right?

Of course they did not have the orders, and so I spent the next 30 minutes on the phone trying to get the orders faxed to the imaging department so we could get them done.

We waited another 30 or so minutes for that fax to show up, and when it didn’t, we headed out to pick up Eliza.

Addie Mae was meeting me half way between Twin Oaks and the hospital so that Eliza did not have to sit through the whole morning of Tate’s appointments.

We headed back to imaging for Tate and Eliza both to have a renal ultrasound, which they have every six months.

This ultrasound is to check on the health of their bladder and kidneys – because spina bifida can do some not so good things to the bladder and kidneys.

They both have their favorite waiting rooms, and this is one of them!

After the ultrasounds were finished, we sat in the waiting room again, holding the pager to our ears like a phone as we pretended to talk to people and order hamburgers, fries and milkshakes from who knows where!

Long medical days may get to you this way, you know.

There was a sweet lady sitting across the room from us who got up and approached our giggling selves.

And she said, “You have such beautiful children! Are they ‘real’ brother and sister?”

I have to admit, I never have a plan for questions like these – and I should.

I knew what she meant, and I knew she did not mean to cause any problems.

I smiled and simply said “Well, they are now!”


It took about one half of a second for the questions to start flying from Tate and Eliza.

“Why did she ask if we were real?”

“Aren’t we brother and sister?”

“What did you mean when you answered her, Mommy?”

Made the time in the waiting room seem to stand still.

Finally, Tate’s name was called to get those x-rays.

And there was another medical day in the books!

Spending a day like this with two brave and strong heroes of mine is inspirational, really!

I had never made a picture in my mind what doctor appointments would be like once Eliza and then Tate were home from China.

We just kind of learn as we go, and roll with everything that is asked of them.

We have such an amazing team of doctors, nurses, and medical professionals that help our two precious cherubs and we are just SO thankful for their care.

The lady in charge of our calendar scheduled another HUGE medical day just two days after this one, since we were on a roll and all!

It will be the next post, and it is a story just FULL of gratitude.